DIGITAL PHOTOGRAPHY AND IMAGING - Final



28/05/19 –(Week 9 - )
Arletta Leviani (0337751)
Digital Photography and Imaging
Final


Lecture 9: Final

Today we are told that we are going to start our final project. We need to find a surreal picture and recreate them our self using Adobe Photoshop. We start to search a surreal art from Instagram from a few artist from a link provided. This is a few pictures I considered using for this final assignment.

Fig 1.1 First image by Lara Zankoul

Fig 1.2 Second image by John Brosio

Fig 1.3 Third image by Nicholas Nadja

Fig 1.4 Pictures from stock photos and Pixabay

Eventually I make the decision to use the third image as my reference. The size of my final assignment is 1920 x 1080 which is bigger then the images of my reference. I decided to expand the sky and the sunflowers.

Fig 1.5 Progression 1

I have noticed that the bone from the skeleton looks really fake and unrealistic and I decided to find another picture.

Fig 1.6 Progression 2

Fig 1.7 Progression 3

I find another picture and it looks similar to my reference. I use a bit of burn tool to define the shadows of the bones and hand. I had trouble searching for the hand but I eventually find one. Another thing I've noticed is the sky colors is not gradient of purple and blue but gradient between black purple and white. I make the sky darker and add more white at the bottom. The colors help the bones and hand to blend with the environment around them, even when their colors are odd to begin with.

Fig 1.8 Progression for submission

I adjust the colors a bit and put 2 boats to complete the image.

Fig 1.9 Final image

Compare to the original picture, I made my image less pastel. I made my sunflowers contrast to make them the highlight of the picture while the rest have a similar tone.


Lecture 10: Animating

From the start, I want to animate the water, with no much knowledge of Adobe After Effects, I tried to find some tutorial from YouTube. All my knowledge of Adobe Photoshop is from YouTube as well and it worked for me so I tried to learn Adobe After Effects the same way I did with Photoshop. I find some tutorials but the one I follow is this video by Caleb Ward. I recommend this tutorial because he's not only showing what he did, but he also explain what each tool does and how it works.

Fig 2.1 Caleb Ward

Fig 2.2 YouTube tutorial by Caleb Ward

The water I used on my final animation is purely made with Adobe After Effects with combination of Fractal noise, Invert, Shift Channels, Fill, Turbulent Displace, Glow, and Fast Blur. First I made my base color of the ocean. In the tutorial, he made his ocean color blue, but since my ocean is dark brown, I made my base color dark brown.

Fig 2.3.1 Base Color by Gradient

After putting base colors, I put fractal noise, invert, and brightness on one layer. All of these can be found in 'Effects & Presents'. If you can't find it on your screen, open 'Window - Effects & Present' and it should appear. 

Fig 2.3.2 Fractal noise from Adobe After Effect

 Invert is to flip the color of the fractal, as you can see on the images. This is needed because we are going to use only the white part of the image and the rest of the black will have our base color. Be careful when using this effect, invert also effecting all the effects that putted on the same layer.

Fig 2.3.3 Invert from Adobe After Effect

After putting everything seems good, I put shift channels to make the black part of image invisible.

Fig 2.3.4 Shift Channels from Adobe After Effect
Then fill is added to make the colors correct, since the original color is white which not blending well with the rest of the colors. I choose light brown.

Fig 2.3.5 Fill from Adobe After Effect
Last but not least I add Turbulent Displace, this effect is the base animation of a wave. With some key framing, the still images will move to form a wave from top view.

Fig 2.3.6 Turbulent Displace from Adobe After Effect
Timewarp is an addition for the water, this is use because when looking at a beach or a perspective ocean, the ocean nearest us move slower then the farest. This is an illusion but since we are making a semi realistic ocean, we are using this as well.

Fig 2.3.7 Timewarp from Adobe After Effect
When everything is done, I put it on my original picture and making it into 3D so it seem like it has perspective. I also add a bit of color at the end of the sea to seem like it blended to the sky and overall image.

Fig 2.3.8 Putting 3D animation for the sea for perspective
 I add more Turbulent Displace to add more waves, I adjust the scale of the turbulent to give more effect of different kind of waves.

Fig 2.3.9 Putting waves to the sea

I add animation for the boat to seem like they move with the waves. I use key framing for position to do this. I also use the puppet pin tool to move the flowers a bit as if the wind breeze move them. I move the sky as well.


Fig 2.4 animated Gif

REFLECTION

Experience 

I had no problem making the picture in photoshop. The only thing that's quite hard for me is to find a good rib bones that look similar to the original picture. Most of the look like plastic and I don't like it so I change it a few times. I was worried at animating the sea but I knew there's a tutorial somewhere so I just have to find one. The video of the sea is deep blue but mine is dark brown which I had problem trying find. Most of the time it looks too greyish and sometimes it is too bright and too saturated.

Observation

I was following the tutorial without much hope but I manage to make a decent enough animation. I had problem looking at the preview because the file is really big to the point where I need to guess the outcome. The rendering process took 7 hours because of the file is too big.

Finding

I find that I can use offset to make sure the movement are continuous. It's really convenient because when I need to edit them again it automatically changes. I also find that using compositions are really convenient because I won't get confused from a lot of layer.

Comments

Popular Posts