ADVANCES TYPOGRAPHY - Exercises



26/08/19 – 23/09/19 (Week 1 – Week 5 )
Arletta Leviani (0337751)
Advances Typography
Exercises

LECTURE NOTES

Lecture 1: Briefing
26/08/19 (week 1)

Today is our first day of our class in advances typography, we meet with Mr Vinod and Mr Shamsul again, we are given a briefing of our semester, and was told that we are going to teach the class our self. We are devided to 4 groups and do a presentation. Each group will explain 2 different typography system. My group got grid and modular. The pdf bellow is the full presentation of the whole class.


Fig 1.1 Typography systems presentation

Lecture 2: Legibility, Context and Creativity
02/09/19 (week 2)

Today is actually our public holiday, but we decided to have class today. We started with talking about our works and get feedback from Mr Vinod. We get our feedback and we fix our work. After that Mr Vinod explain our next exercise.

Lecture 3: Designing Type
09/09/19 (week 3)

Today we have another class when it is holiday. We start our class at 8 AM and Mr Vinod start to go around to give feedback. After we start to revised our work, Mr Vinod give us the next exercise. He give example from our seniors. We allowed to find images from the internet but we only allowed to use the 9 typeface that was given by Mr Vinod.

Lecture 4: Designing Type
16/09/19 (week 4)

Today is holiday and we don't have class.

Lecture 5: Typographic System
23/09/19 (week 5)

My group did a presentation about Typographic perception and Organization. These are the presentation.


We talk about contrast, form, gestalt, layout, and creating visual identity. We did our research for each subject and do a presentation for the whole class.



INTRODUCTION



EXERCISE

Week 1
We are told to make 16 designs from the 8 typography systems on Adobe In design. I start with some sketches, and then I transfer some basic ideas to Adobe In design.

Fig 2.1 First sketch

Fig 2.2 Second sketch

Fig 2.3 Axial system 

Fig 2.4 Radial system

Fig 2.5 Dilatational system

Fig 2.6 Random system

Fig 2.7 Grids system

Fig 2.8 Modular system

Fig 2.9 Transitional system

Fig 3.0 Bilateral system
I got my feedback and I revised my work. These are my revised work.

Fig 3.1 Random system (revised)

Fig 3.2 Grid system (revised)

Fig 3.3 Bilateral system (revised)

Fig 3.4 Modular system (revised)
This is my pdf version of my first exercise.



Week 2-5
On week 2 we need to take a picture, trace all the lines and find 5 alphabet from that traced picture. We also allowed to get pictures from the internet if we wanted to.

Fig 4.1 Picture of rocks
I trace them in Adobe Illustrator with red color so I can see better.

Fig 4.2 Trace progress

I manage to find 5 alphabets in the traced rock, A, L, U, Q, Z.

Fig 4.3.1 Letter A

Fig 4.3.2 Letter A
Fig 4.3.3 letter L

Fig 4.3.4 letter L

Fig 4.3.5 letter Q

Fig 4.3.6 letter Q

Fig 4.3.7 letter U

Fig 4.3.8 letter U

Fig 4.3.9 letter Z

Fig 4.4.0 letter Z

After I find everything, I start to compare them to an existing type face. The one that I choose is Futura Std since the shape already quite familiar with mine.

Fig 4.5 comparing to existing type face

Then I start to dissect my alphabet so it is readable and look like a type face without changing the original shapes too much, I need to keep their originality. My first dissect is to make them look like the alphabets, I make sure they are in the same height.

Fig 4.6 first dissect

Fig 4.7 second dissect

The difference of before and after dissect process.

Fig 4.8 before and after difference

Mr Vinod told be that it is better if I put the lines of the rock so it looks like stack of rocks instead of it's only a shape. I observe from the original alphabet shape and dissect them again. He also told me that rocks doesn't have pointy edges, he helped me make the originality of 'rocks' can be seen more.

Fig 4.9 Revised version with lines

I ask for feedback from Mr Shamsul and he said that my lines are too small, because I mostly made this while zooming to the letters, I didn't realize the lines are too small if I use it as a typeface. Mr Shamsul suggested to make them thicker and make sure not to have too much lines or details.

Fig 5.0 Revised after 2nd feedback.

Fig 5.1 Letter U

Fig 5.2 Letter L

Fig 5.3 Letter Q

Fig 5.4 Letter A

Fig 5.5 Letter Z

Mr Vinod asked if I want to make them rougher. I decided to make one with the rougher texture on the sides. And this is my final letters.

Fig 5.6.1 Final letters

Fig 5.6.2 Final letter U

Fig 5.6.3 Final letter L

Fig 5.6.4 Final letter Q

Fig 5.6.5 Final letter A

Fig 5.6.6 Final letter Z

My final letters in PDF:



Week 3-5
We are doing our next exercise which is image Type and Play part 2. We are told to pick and image and put words or sentence to it. This is my first attempt using a flying fish as my image. The sentence that I pick is Fish Out of Water.

Fig 6.1 First attempt image

Fig 6.2 First attempt
I decided to scrap this idea because I don't think I can make the letters can't really intersect between the image well. So I decide to use another image. This is the picture I pick.

Fig 6.3 Image

I start searching with what sentence I want to write. I decided to pick "hustle, hit, and never quit" as my sentence.

Fig 6.4.1 Progress 1

Fig 6.4.2 Progress 2

I decided to change my color to yellow and darken the background so the words stands out even more.

Fig 6.4.3 progress 3

Fig 6.4.4 Final submission

My final submission:



FEEDBACK

Week 2
General feedback he told us to remember what we had learned in semester 1 about sizes for the body text. He told us for modular we need to make sure the alignment is the same, also make sure the boxes are in the same size. Make sure to adjust letter spacing and kerning. Make some grid system on your works to help you make the design instead of just winging it. Make sure to make a margin in your design. He told us that we can change our font size for numbers by 0.5 to make them even with the rest of the letter.

Specific feedback he likes my design for axial, radial, dilatational, random, transitional. Most of my mistake are because my spacing making the information bundle up together. For my modular, Mr Vinod told me to make sure my guide is either inside the margins or outside. He also told me to make the alignment the same so the system look more modular. i was told to fix my grid system as well.

Week 3
General Feedback
Mr Vinod told us to make sure not to lose the originality of our letters. Make sure to follow the senior's blog to make ours. Please make sure to follow the guideline of doing this exercise and follow the step by step process.

Specific Feekback
He told me that I pick a hard letters, he also tell me to get the rocks lines to indicate that my letters are make from rocks. He said that adding those is better than just a blank letters. Mr Shamsul said that my lines are a bit too small so he suggested to make the stroke bigger because when we see the letters from a far, the lines are unseen able. After the second feedback, I got my third feedback from Mr Vinod, he said that he like my original tracing of rocks bigger than one another and not really become smooth letters, but after I did my revised version of third one, Mr Vinod like the second version better.

Week 4
I was told to make my letters have particles of snow. After I made my letters color to yellow. Mr Vinod said that it is compliment the color blue of the original pictures.


Week 5
General Feedback
when extracting the letters, we need to extract bit by bit from the original image but after a while, we start to take the specific elements that you want to keep. The adding of those are based on creativity.

Specific Feedback
I was told using the color yellow is better than using red. I was also told for my letters, it is better to use the rougher version than the smoother version.


REFLECTION

Experience 
Week 1
On the first day of our semester, I was taken back because we have to do presentation. I don't have time to even prepare myself since there's a lot of things to cover, even when I divided them with my group. I don't think I did a good job with so little time of me preparing.

Week 2
We come to class when it's holiday, but I glad we did. I got feedback on my works, we discuss our faults and how to fix them. I got a lot of problem when I did modular, I need to fit my text on the cells but I need to be careful since I don't want to make the body text too big.

Week 3
I start my exercise and I had problem locate my letters. I color each piece of rocks bit by bit and try to find 5 alphabets. I got them after a few tries even when they doesn't fully resemble a letter too much so i fix them when I did my dissections. We did another class when it's a holiday and I got my feedback from Mr Vinod. I got some major feedback that I need to fix.

Week 4
This day is holiday.

Observation
Week 1
Since I was in group 3, I found that when I was preparing for my presentation I often didn't listen to other group presentation since how nervous I am. I notice midway and decided to try to listen than preparing when other explaining their part.

Week 2
I found that sketching is good way to start my exercise, I did a few sketches and it really helpful when coming up with ideas, but some sketches only to help me with basic idea, not a full composition.

Week 3
I had a hard time doing this exercise, I tried to keep the original shapes but they look like blocks of shapes. Mr Vinod suggested to make lines to divided each rocks which really helps with my problems.

Week 4
This day is holiday.

Week 5
I notice that I manage to understand about contrast in typography fully because I am searching for my presentation topics.

Finding
Week 1
I find that I can't focus several things on one time, so I decide to just listen to my presentation because it is my exercise.

Week 2
I found that sketching is good way to start my exercise. I find a good ideas while making them that helps me when I start to digitized my work.

Week 3
I find that use a clear photo is really important in dissecting. My photo a bit too bright so I had problem dissecting them but I manage to do it. I also find that I need to observe my objects harder to make all the details in the alphabets that I made.

Week 4
This day is holiday.

Week 5
I find that making several prototype help to find the best ones with the colors and positions. I manage to make one that I like.


FURTHER READING

Page Unlimited: Innovations in layout design by Page One.
Week 1-2 (26/08/2019-02/09/2019)

Fig 7.1 PAGE UNLIMITED: INNOVATION IN LAYOUT DESIGN
I reference this book for my exercise, the book filed with a lot of designers that help me for ideas. These is some of the designers work featured in this book.

By Hugo Hoppmann

By Eric Hu

Typographic Quest by Carl Dair
Week 3-5 (09/09/2019-23/09/2019)

Fig 7.2 TYPOGRAPHIC QUEST

This book I read is for my presentation about contrast. The book contains 7 type of contrast that explained well. Those 7 contrast are:
  • Size: The different sizes of 2 text
  • Weight: The different weight of 2 text
  • Form: 1 typeface with different variants
  • Structure: 2 different typefaces that create contrast
  • Texture: Combination of size, weight, form, and structure
  • Color: The contrast of color
  • Direction: The horizontal and vertical alignments




Comments

Popular Posts