3D MODELLING - FINAL PROJECT

12/06/20 - 10/07/20 (Week 9 - Week 14)
Arletta Leviani (0337751)
3D Modelling
Final Project

INSTRUCTION



LECTURE NOTES

Lecture 9: Sculpting and Retopology 
12/06/20 (Week 9)

We are planning to start our project 2 this week, but Mr Kannan eventually make a decision of combining project 2 and final project, with a promise of a great outcome from us. The unpainted model as out project 2 and the final is the final project. Mr Kannan start to explain how to use zbrush. During the time, he was hurting from an injury so he told us to watch 2 of his recorded session to make a human face. This is my first try.






Lecture 10: Character pose and Expression 
19/06/20 (Week 10)

This week we continue to learn zbrush, Mr Kannan explain about making character. He explain about using T pose on our character. Mr Kannan said that by using the T pose, we can rig our character to desired pose without messing with our mesh. 

He also gave us a link to get free brushes and he hope to we get inspired.

Lecture 11
26/06/20 (Week 11)

This week Mr Kannan check our design and character progress. Last week Mr Kannan asked use to make a character for our final project. He said to find online works and use them as inspiration. I have a few ideas, in total there are 3 different ones that finally got a pass from Mr Kannan. This is my first character.


My second character which is a backpacker. I personally likes it's design but Mr Kannan said that it is more of a fashion or clothes design more than a character. Mr Kannan said to make another design.




Lecture 12
03/07/20 (Week 12)

On this week, after checking with everyone progress, Mr Kannan explain about zsphere. It is an easier way to create a model by making the bone structure and then build the mesh. Using this technique we can quickly create a bone structure, but sadly I have finished most of my block out and I can't use it for my character.

As Mr Kannan asked last week, I redo my design. 




I also start to do my block out on zbrush. I was having problem with my zbrush resulting only little progress.





Lecture 13
10/07/20 (Week 13)

We are explained how to do retopo using topogun. We explained a few tools, which are the tube tool if we need to retopo a tube like mesh like hand or leg, SimpleCreate to retopo manually. On SimpleCreate there are also automatic button to make a face quickly. We are told to create only half on symmetric object so we save time.

As I said before, my progress last week is very little and I feel terrible for Mr Kannan, especially when he's been very lenient with us. So during this week, I work on the model after the class and ask for feedback a few days after. He gave me feedback through text. 




I also tried to make clothes during this week based on my design. I quickly notice that it looks bulky and stiff unlike real fabric. I decided to scrap the idea and go for different approach.  




Lecture 14
10/07/20 (Week 14)

This week we continue to talk about doing retopo, Mr Kannan explains how to mirror the mesh on Topogun. After that, he also explain how to bake on maya, baking is to transfer lost details that we make on zbrush in the form of normal maps. He explains that first we need to do UV mapping, if not, baking will not do anything. After UV mapping done, we need put the detailed mesh to maya and start baking it. 

This week I shown what I thought was my final mesh, but it seems like Mr Kannan give lots of ideas. I always on board with different ideas, but during that time, I was already have no time, especially when I haven't start doing retopo. If the situation is different and there's no time limit to make this project, I would do it all but I can't. So I pick some feedback that I can do in the limited time given.






This is his sketch.


I also decided to make a bow for my character. At first I want a simple bow but then, I remember about zsphere, I notice how easy it is to make the bow so I decided to make it more interesting look.

This is my final mesh work.


I then start doing retopo, UV mapping and baking. Retopo took me the whole day to do, I am not used with the tools and keep asking myself if I do it correctly. I then go to maya and do my UV mapping and baking, it took me half day to do, mostly waiting to load and bake. After finishing the painting, this is my final outcome.


And this is my work on sketchfab:

This is the drive file of the model:


REFLECTION

I have learned that it takes a lot of effort to create a good character. It is amazing how at first it only start with an idea and eventually become a 3D model. During the making of this model, I learn that thinking of how the character environment is, how it effects the clothes, and how face paint applied helps with making the painting. I smudge some of the paint as if she use her own finger to apply them, and add some dirt on the clothes as I imagine she live in a forest.

During the 14 weeks of 3D modeling, I grow to enjoy the class. I enjoy this class the most out of all my modules I taken this semester. I've never tried 3D modeling before but now I feel like I want to explore more on it. Since I draw often, I would like to see my drawings become a 3D model, I probably will try to do that during my break.



Comments

Popular Posts