FILM STUDIES & CINEMATOGRAPHY - PROJECT 1


13/04/20 - 18/05/20 (Week 1 - Week 6)
Arletta Leviani (0337751)
Film studies & Cinematography
Project 1

INSTRUCTION



PROJECT 1

This week we are starting our project early, so as we are doing our exercise, we are also doing our project. It start with an idea from our childhood. We are told to record our voice and tell the story so Mr Martin can understand the emotion behind the story. This is the audio: 

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1-QsFPpy_01Q_L3nZgBRTyiRfJJg4btsQ/view?usp=sharing

We then told to make the story in a written format.

I remember it rather vividly. Me holding my father palm as I went out from the car, the dust can be seen through the sunlight that peeping through little gaps between the roof, bunch of wood scraps around the area where the big scary machine that way bigger than my height. I need to walk faster than my dad because of my short and small feet. I was always told to stay in my father office while he works, because how messy the place are, full of scraped wood pieces and undone works. But I never listen, I just walk where my little feet would go, to his workspace that was always magical. Once I can slayed the dragon at the back of the room, and once I rescued the bird prince from the evil witch in the painting room. I defeated the pirates that was holding a long sword and even survived the big swamp in a rainy day.

15 years later I went back there, but it feels a bit different now. I grew taller, the big scary machine, the dragon that I slayed before, is not even 2/3 of my height. The big room I use to play is still huge, but not as big as I remember it to be but the ceiling still have a few holes, maybe the new one since it is fixed before. I went to the resting area for the workers and notice a little bird comfortable inside its cage, the little prince I saved from a cat. I walk around the place and greeted some workers that knows me for years now, going to the painting room. I notice some wood just finished painted white and still a bit wet. The workers probably holding their breath when I play there, afraid I would ruin the paint. The pirate, ah no, my father assistant came to greet me too. Asking me about my university and how I rarely come to my father work space now. He notice how dirty it is, ask me to stay at my father office while waiting for him, and I would answer no. I was wrong, nothing has change.

Mr Martin said that I can use the story for the module, so I stick with it without second thought. The next part is to make a drawing to express the emotion of the story. Since my story is based on nostalgia, I tried to make a more flowing lines, as if the emotion are flowing back to your mind. The only confusion I had when making this is if we are allowed to use colors since the example given is black and white. I decided to submit the black and white version of my work.





We are then continue with our characters. Based on the exercise we had, we are told to do the same with our character stories. We are told to make a paragraph of our character that describe their external and internal feature. We are told to make sure that every sentence give a new knowledge to the reader, not an empty sentence.

Arletta is a 4 year old with a lot of bruises and cuts on her legs, always falling when riding a bicycle. She was always asked to stay in her father's office where everything was clean and tidy, but she didn't listen and ran out after her father looked somewhere else for a second. She would run to the working area and make all the workers scared that she would hurt herself, which she always does. She always came to the workshop with her uniform as she just finished school, and dirtied her uniform as she played. 

Internal: have no fear, do before thinking, curious to look around, cheerful, clumsy, imaginative, stubborn, adventurous

External: short, have cuts on her legs from riding a bicycle, using her national elementary uniform which is white and red, messy hair

Then we are told to make a what if scenario of our character. The elevator test of what our character would react if they trapped in an elevator. This to determinate their character personality in a situation like that.

At first, she feels like she can solve this ‘problem’ since she has no fear. She still feel like everything would be fixed in a few minutes. But when everything registered, she would start to get confused. If she’s with an adult, she would keep asking questions of why this happens and ask if everything would be ok. Probably asked to keep quite by them since she ask so many questions. If she’s alone, she would start to panic and cry. She would have this fear of not making it alive. She would panic but stay put since she always told not to panic by her parents. She scream for help until someone hears her, when someone do, she would sit down and cry quietly until help comes.

We then need to create a what if scenario from our story and make a story spine.

What if the girl grow up as an adult with less imagination, would she still love her father’s workshop

Story spine:
Once upon a time there’s a little girl comes to her father’s workshop
Everyday she was ask to stay in her father’s office while waiting for her father done with work
Until one day she decided to notice a strange light right outside the window
Because of this she ran outside while her father is busy with something
Because of that she found that the workshop is transform  
Because of that she start her adventure and fight the dragon
Because of that she save the bird prince from an evil prince
Because of that she fight pirates in the painting room
Because of that she survive the swamp in the rainy days
Until finally she grow up and went back to the workshop
And ever since then she realized that nothing have changed

We are also need to create 3 sketches of before what if, what if and after what id

Before what if

What if

After what if



The next task given is to make the 3 story act based on the story spine.

Act 1
There is a little girl name Arletta that’s walking into the workshop holding her father's hands. She needs to walk a bit faster to keep up the pace of her father walking. Her eyes look around the workshop but then she is seated in the office. 

She decided to ran out and finds a worker tinting the wood. While the worker is focusing on his job, Arletta's voice scared him and messed up the work. Resulted with Arletta back in the office.

Arletta went out again, and went to a worker that was cutting a hole in one of the wood. The worker is really focusing on the task and how scary it is, and a girl pops up. The father was panicking and get her back to the office.

Act 2
The father gives her some blocks as color samples for her to play with. She is so bored playing with the blocks, she look out the window and see a weird light right outside the dusty window. Looking at her father busy, she quietly slip out from the office. 

When she ran out she found a big dragon attacking the workshop. The dragon with green scales, roars loudly through the ceiling. Arletta grabbed her sword and started the fight. The workers look at her confused as she use a used wood and hitting a machine that is twice her size.

The other day she found a bird prince that was in trouble. He is captured in a jail. He was captured by an evil witch. Seeing the prince in trouble, she fights the evil witch to save the prince. The witch ran out at last and the prince was saved.

She also fought an alligator that was roaming at the back of the room. Rain drops dripping to the pool of water. She ran around the puddle, running from the alligator, scared for her life.

The other day she is fiercely fighting pirates. She was cornered at the end of the ship, pointed by a sharp sword. Thinking fast, Arletta slipped out of the side, forcing the pirates to walk down to the plank. The workers see her using a rolled newspaper to fight her father’s assistant.

Her father came and saw her using some of the workers gear that was way bigger than her. Her father told her not to wear it, and told her to grow up first.

Act 3
A few years later, Arletta went back as an adult. She came into the office without asked like before. She looked at the dusty window and she decided to walk outside. She walks around and meets with her father’s assistant. She remembers the pirates once again, and remembers all her adventures



We are then need to create the character design and world building. This is the illustration I made.

Arletta character design

Pirate character design

The 2 illustration of world building











Comments

Popular Posts