TYPOGRAPHY - Project 1



03/05/19 – 17/05/19 (Week 5 – Week 7)
Arletta Leviani (0337751)
Typography
Project 1: Text Formatting and Expression

LECTURE NOTES

Lecture 5: Letters
03/05/19 (week 5)

Today we learn about understanding letterforms. The uppercase letterforms suggest symmetry, but the truth is that, it is not symmetrical. In serif type, the upperletters is not symmetrical, one part of the letter have more weight than the other. For example the two different stroke weights of Baskerville, each bracket connecting the serif to the stem has unique arc.

Fig 1.1 Different stroke weights of Baskerville

The uppercase forms may appear symmetrical, but if you look closely in font Univers, it shows that the width of the left slope is thinner than the right stroke.

Fig 1.2 Different width of left and right stroke in Baskerville

Both examples demonstrate the meticulous care a type designer takes to create letterforms, both internally harmonious and individually expressive. The complexity of each individual letterform can be seen from the lowercase 'a' of two seemingly similar sans-serif typefaces, Helvetica and Univers. Not Comparison of both typeface make the difference between the stems and bowls. Not all lowercase is the same even when they are the same alphabet. The little changes make a huge different. It is settle different but we need to be sensitive to these kind of things.

Fig 1.3 Difference between Helvetica and Univers

X-height is the size of the lowercase, but in alphabet that has curves in it like the letter a, r, o, s, they must rise above (or sink bellow the baseline) the median in order to appear to be the same size as the vertical and horizontal strokes they adjoin. The rise in curved alphabet is called bridge.

Fig 1.4 Bridge and sink for curved alphabets

Counterform or counter is the space describes and often contained by the strokes of the form. When letters are joined to form words, the counterform includes the spaces between them. In another word, counterform is a negative space that appear between letters. This is really important when working with lowercase and how easily we read the alphabets. Exterminating close in detail is good to know how balance between form and counter in each letters.

Fig 1.5 counterform

The basic principles of graphy design apply directly to typography.

Lecture 6: No Lectures

10/05/19 (week 6)

Today Mr Vinod want us to fix our blog. He said that he noticed most of our blog is incomplete and most of the formatting are wrong. So in the first few hours of class, he use it to check our blogs.

Lecture 7: Text / Tracking: Kerning and Letterspacing

17/05/19 (week 7)

Kerning is often mistaken as letterspacing, but they are not the same. Letterspacing means to add space between the letters. The removal of spacing between letters is called kerning. When you are formatting your body text on left alignment, the right hand side going to make raging and if it is too much, we need to make kerning and letterspacing.
  • shift + enter: to force letter to go down
  • alt + right arrow: to add letterspacing
  • alt + left arrow: to add kerning
If you use both kerning and letterspacing, the term to use is tracking. Be careful while using tracking, too loose or too tight tracking can make viewer hard to read, the purpose of using tracking is to make it easier to read.

Fig 1.6 Kerning

Text formatting
  • Flush left, ragged right: This format most closely mirrors the asymmetrical experience of handwriting. 
  • Centered, ragged on both sides: Not good for a large amount of text
  • Flush right, ragged left: This format places emphasis on the end of a line as opposed to its start.
  • Justified: Issued from rivers giving an uneven color/gray matter (body text)
Text type is important to take notice, some typefaces can not be use as a body text. If you know the typeface first before the words, then you should change it. Typeface are not suppose to distract the massage in the first place. Don't design for the sake to look good, design to enhancing  the massage from the writer
.
Fig 1.7 Type Speciment


INSTRUCTIONS




PROJECT 1

Week 5

We were told about project 1 and Mr Vinod explain everything what we should do. We are using a new application for project one, it is Adobe Indesign. We are told the basics tools and short cuts. We tried to make a few draft for this week class. On this week Mr Vinod allowed us to use up to 4 pages, but changed to only 2 pages the following week.
Fig 2.1 First Draft 'First Thing First Manifesto 2000'

Week 6

We were told to make some design at home, when I show my design he said that I only allowed to use 2 pages. He also told us to have our font size 8-10, but 9 would be best. Our font space supposed to be 3 point bigger than our font size, so if I have 9 as font size, our font space is 12. Body length need to be in between 40 to 60.

Fig 3.1 Second Draft 'First Thing First Manifesto 2000'

Fig 3.2 Third Draft 'First Thing First Manifesto'

Week 7

This week I'm following Mr Vinod's advise to sketch my design on a piece of paper first. I glad I did because I manage to come out with a design that I like. The idea come out when I tried to write in circle, when I write that way, I noticed that I have to rotate my paper to the point that it is upside down. I continue that idea and finally manage to come out with a good draft.

Fig 4.1 sketches for project 1

Fig 4.2 Final design for project 1



FEEDBACK

Week 5
General Feedback 
There some problems with the eblog. Mr Shamsul said that please use a font that readable, make sure the formatting is correct, no double spacing that make an awkward space. Please use good picture and make sure the instruction is public. Most of the blog is incomplete and please read books and put it on the further reading. 

Exercise
Mr Vinod said I did a good job at my lettering animation and type expression animation. Please make a stronger tittle lettering because one that I made doesn't make sense.

Week 6
General feekback 
For our eblog, please make the background on default (white), so it easier to read. Please put your subtitle smaller than your title. Do put your personality name on the captions on every pictures you put. Please do not fooling around with the eblog. When your eblog doesn't up to standard, you will fail the class. Do sketch our work first before putting it on computer. it easier for you to come out with an idea. Only use 2 pages in this exercise instead of 4. 

Eblog feedback
Mr Vinod say that I forgot to put the personality on the caption of the pictures. specific feedback Some idea good, but some doesn't make sense, Mr Vinod told me to sketch thing first. He also told me to follow the grids and columns. He told me to do my tittle lettering on Adobe Illustrator instead of Adobe Indesign.

Week 7
General Feedback 
We were told to see the grids of text body and headlines by adding boxes. Therefore we can see the balance. please put your personality in the picture description.

Specific Feedback
I was told my design concept is good, the work Manifesto is better to have the same height of the other headings. The sub headlines should be fixed as well.


REFLECTION

Experience 

Week 5
I was confused and having a lot of difficulty making the expression for project one. I mostly doesn't know what I should make and stuck for a good amount of time

Week 6
I made 3 sketches and digitize them but got rejected by Mr Vinod. Then I tried making new things on my computer. Mr Vinod suggested for us to make sketches first before trying to digitize anything.

Week 7
I manage to get a design Mr Vinod like. I had difficulty printing it.

Observation
Week 5
It takes me a long time to make a design to an article I not know much about.

Week 6
I feel like I rush things when I'm panicking and jump on steps that I need to do first (sketching before digitizing)

Week 7
I have to do things step by step to get a good design. After following Mr Vinod advise of sketching first, I find that I manage to have my design faster.

Finding
Week 5
I need to do my research first before doing things. Find stuff online to help me make my tittle lettering

Week 6
I find that I'm really not used on Adobe Indesign shortcut keys and tools so I did my expression on Adobe Illustrator instead

Week 7
I find that sketching on paper first makes us easier to get ideas.


FURTHER READING

The Complete Manual of Typography by James Felici.
week 5-6 (03/05/2019-10/05/2019)

Fig 5.1 THE COMPLETE MANUAL OF TYPOGRAPHY

Font Formats
Ultimately, what’s inside a font depends on its format. The word format has two
meanings in computer type. First, it can refer to the platform for which the font
was designed. For example, two fonts with the same data for the same typeface
may have different file formats depending on whether they’re designed for use
on an Apple Macintosh or a Windows pc.
  • Postscript font
  • Truetype font
  • Macintosh font
  • Opentype font
  • Web font

Comments

Popular Posts