ADVANCES TYPOGRAPHY - PROJECT 1



23/09/19 – 30/09/19 (Week 5 – Week 6 )
Arletta Leviani (0337751)
Advances Typography
Project 1

LECTURE NOTES

Lecture 5: Typographic System
23/09/19 (week 5)

My group did a presentation about Typographic perception and Organization. These are the presentation.


We talk about contrast, form, gestalt, layout, and creating visual identity. We did our research for each subject and do a presentation for the whole class. First contrast,
  • Size: The different sizes of 2 text
  • Weight: The different weight of 2 text
  • Form: 1 typeface with different variants
  • Structure: 2 different typefaces that create contrast
  • Texture: Combination of size, weight, form, and structure
  • Color: The contrast of color
  • Direction: The horizontal and vertical alignments
Form: when elements of design are implemented with text.
Gestalt: grouping principles that make it seems like it become 1 word/structure
Layout: To create uniformity or to highlight a particular section
Hierarchy: size, typeface weight, color, space, composition, reading pattern
Composition: using certain layout like 'rule of thirds' giving room to breath and making a more interesting composition

Lecture 6: Typographic Perception and Organization
30/09/19 (week 6)

Today we got a presentation from other group. We are learning about typographic compositions like environmental compositions, environmental grids, and alternate methods.


Other group did a presentation about Typographic Composition:
  • Environmental composition: typography is put on a architectural building
  • Environmental grids: lines and shapes from physical site to use as grids
  • Alternate methods: use edges of objects (words) as grids.


INTRODUCTION



EXERCISE

Week 5-6
We are told to start sketching and think of ideas of our project 1. We need to com out with at least 3 digitized work by next week. I start with finding what 'manifesto' is, and try to understand the meaning from the MIB and online.

The conference seeks to provoke inner dialogue of one's
beliefs and to create a new paradigm shift through alternative
viewpoints.
Troublemakers often make others feel uncomfortable. They
challenge the norm, they question establishments rules and
the status quo. This tension is needed to break the monotony
brought about by societal conformity to the diktats of those
wielding influence.
To most people, troublemakers are not a welcome lot but
without their disruptive tendencies - creating ripples and
ruffling feathers - unspoken ideas will not be made known, and
innovations will not come to pass.
Why do they do, what they do? What principles and values lie
beneath their decisions and actions? Are you a troublemaker,
if so what is your manifesto?

I then start to make notes of ideas and do a little bit of sketches. These is my sketches that I made on week 5.

Fig 1.1 Sketch 1

Fig 1.2 Sketch 2

After I got the basic idea, I start to digitize my works. These is what I manage to make on week 5.

Fig 1.3.1 First ver artwork (rejected)

Fig 1.3.2 Second ver artwork (rejected)

Fig 1.3.3 Third ver artwork (rejected)
Mr Vinod told me to try new images and make new key artwork. I start to find inspiration and manage to make another version.

Fig 1.4 Fourth ver artworks (rejected)

It also got rejected with this version as well and start a new version again. I use a few of my portrait practice from last year in the making of these new versions so I don't have to remove watermarks but also not copyrighted. This is the images I use in the making of my new versions.

Fig 1.5.1 images used for eyes

Fig 1.5.2 images used for ears

Fig 1.5.3 images used for lips/mouth

I came up with the first version and was told to make sure the words are interacting with the images. So I did a few more versions to see which on the best.

Fig 1.6 Artwork fifth ver (rejected)

I tried to make the letter O from the eyes, as if it see through problems. I use both female and male portraits to do this one.

Fig 1.8 artwork sisth ver

For this version I made as if the words gone through the ear and through the mouth. I also use my portrait practice to do this one as well.

Fig 1.9 seventh version

I was told to make only the eyes mouth and nose as shapes, but then there's a problem, I notice that grey colors are really hard to print correctly, so I decided to remake the eyes, mouth and nose in the one line form.

Fig 2.1.1 eighth version

My feedback was to make them less

Fig 2.1.2 Eighth version progress

Fig 2.2 Final design in JPG



FEEDBACK

Week 5
I didn't get any feedback in week 5

Week 6
General Feedback
don't use light bulb in our design. We are also told that we need to understand the word manifesto to make our design. We are told that better to make different design with different ideas so if it is not working, we have back ups. Do not use black background so your key artwork stands up.

specific feedback
First feedback
Mr Vinod said that it nice that i have 3 design, he said try between the rhino or the hand to continue to develop

Second feedback
Mr Vinod said that it is better to change my key artwork since not alot of people will understand the meaning behind of if, Mr Shamsul said that it is better to get a better composition for the placement for the key artwork.

Online feedback
I love the use of the circular lines but the forced combination hand from mouth of guy is not elegant solution. Explore and experiment more with the type and circular lines - think dilational or radial, let the text interplay with it.  

It doesn't work Arletta, that visual combo you need to discard! Research 'paris May 1968' poster artworks.

I see what you are trying to do, using the senses. The red eyes isn't needed. Use diff composition and try different illustration of the mouth which is a little too detail when compared to the ear and eye. The arrangement of the letters does not really interplay well with the visuals.

First, identify the right visual illustrations and compose them in diff possibilities. Choose the one that works the best.

Second, place/arrange type in different combos to see which has the best interplay with the visual.

Week 7
Specific Feedback
I was told that I need to fix my composition, make shapes from the eyes, mouth and nose like circle, triangle and square. Make sure the word Design Colloquium placed smartly around the lines

Online feedback
Arletta I think you may need to put the letters back, difficult for people to guess so better not take that chance. It's ok now, just fix that and move on to the collateral.


REFLECTION

Experience 
Week 5
I start to make the sketches and work on them digitally after. I had a lot of problem when starting at this project and only manage to make 3 sketches.

Week 6
After my work got rejected, I make a few more design and ask Mr Vinod's feedback in between my other lectures. Since we have class on Monday, I start asking for feedback on Wednesday and everyday leading to the next Monday.

Observation
Week 5
I notice that I made artworks that can be hard for others to know the meaning of. I start to think differently and find pictures that obvious.

Week 6
I keep searching for a picture that fits my imagination of certain visual with certain angles. I manage to use my old portrait study to do this exercise which is really helpful since I don't have to erase waterwarks in the visuals first.

Finding
Week 5
I found that I'm really bad at making compositions. It's really hard to see the 'correct' way even when I knew all the theories.

Week 6
I find out that, Mr Vinod is really patience with me when I keep asking for feedback everyday from Wednesday to Sunday. I'm really thankful that he's really patient with me.


FURTHER READING

Typographic Quest by Carl Dair
Week 5 (23/09/2019)

Fig 7.2 TYPOGRAPHIC QUEST

This book I read is for my presentation about contrast. The book contains 7 type of contrast that explained well. Those 7 contrast are:
  • Size: The different sizes of 2 text
  • Weight: The different weight of 2 text
  • Form: 1 typeface with different variants
  • Structure: 2 different typefaces that create contrast
  • Texture: Combination of size, weight, form, and structure
  • Color: The contrast of color
  • Direction: The horizontal and vertical alignments



Comments

Popular Posts